I totally forgot to make a post about my cute Lil’ Red Riding Hood. I guess better late then never?
I decide to make Lainey her Halloween costume and immediately came up with the idea of Red Riding Hood.
I thought it would be a great idea since it’s usually pretty cold out by then and I could have her wear tights and her coat under her cape and still look cute! I wasn’t sure the type of dress to make her so I did some research on Pinterest and found the cutest pattern here. I was excited that I could get the pattern directly from Etsy and just print at home. Take a look at her other patterns, the dress is too cute! I even found some fabric from the same fabric line at Fabric.com. This is my new favourite fabric store because there is so much selection. And if you are ordering to the States you only have to spend $30 to get free shipping! The white little shoes she was wearing were mine when I was a lil girl and thought they would be perfect for her outfit. The basket I picked up from the dollar store. And the cape I made from left over fabric from my Mom’s fabric stash! Anyways, here are some cute pictures of my lil red riding hood 🙂
After my little girl started growing out of her sleep sack I decided it was time for a new one. I didn’t realize how pricey they were as the one I had, was given to me as a baby shower gift. So I looked at the one she had and thought it couldn’t be that hard to make one myself. So I looked online at some other Moms had made and it looked like something I could do. So I decided to make one for her. Since summer is approaching I wanted to make her one out of lighter fabric, and the other plus I could choose a unique fabric too. So I went off to the fabric store and picked up all my supplies and then cut out my pattern. Now I decided to make a trial one first so I could make all my mistakes on that one. After it was done I have to say I’m pretty proud doing it all myself. The only thing after I did the trial one I was so excited to start the final project that I forgot to take pictures of the first couple steps. So I missed the first couple pictures of the individual pieces 🙂
1) So the first thing I did was trace out a pattern on wax paper using the sleep sack she’s still wearing. I traced a front piece and a back piece. Now in my trial run I made the mistake of just cutting out one large piece for the front and one large piece for the back. Now I’m a beginner sewer so I show my Mom what I’m doing so she can give me sewing tips as I went along. So she mentioned to me to make a pattern by tracing half of the front and half the back. Then when you cut it out just fold the fabric in half to get your double pieces.
Now before I cut it out I decided to make myself another pattern for a bigger size. So it should last at least till she is about 9-10 mths old. I added an extra inch to the sides to make it wider and then about 3 inches to the bottom to make it longer. Then once I had my larger pattern I began cutting out the fabric. When I cut out my pattern on the fabric I had 2 pieces for the front (as this sleep sack I wanted the zipper right down the middle in the front), and then one large piece for the back.
So I cut the pieces for the outside, and then the same for the lining. Now if I had remembered to take pictures I would have a picture showing 3 different pieces. Two front pieces and one back piece. You can look at image 1 what one side of the front looked like.
2) When I had all my pieces cut out I was ready to sew the outside layer to the inside lining. So each piece that was the same I put them together and sewed together. What I did, which maybe someone else might not have done is I just sewed the raw edge with a zig zag stitch. It’s not the cleanest but it’s in the inside so I didn’t mind.
3) Then once the pieces were together I could sew on the bias tape for the edging around the top.
4) Then I put in the zipper. And since the zipper has those rough edges I wanted to make a little flap to cover it so it wouldn’t be rubbing up against her skin.
5) Once the front was together with the zipper I could finish it up and sew the front piece to the back piece.
6) Lastly, it was time for the snaps. I could have also done maybe buttons instead but I haven’t mastered the button yet 🙂
And there you have it, another project complete!!